How many people love the taste of cookies, but are not fans of the process? Form the cookies, in the oven, out of the oven, repeat five times. It is an involved process. Brownies on the other hand, pour the batter into the pan, put in the oven, wait for timer to go off, and done. What if you can have the cookie taste with the brownie process? You can! Blondies are the answer. These delicious Blondies were found in The Perfect Cookie: Your Ultimate Guide to Foolproof Cookies, Brownies & Bars by America’s Test Kitchen. I use recipes as a starting point, so the recipe below is my version of the one in the book. Just a few simple alterations that appeal to my family specifically. If you are cookie lover or know someone who is, I highly recommend the full cookbook. It is full of amazing recipes with excellent instructions.
For this recipe, there is no need for an electric mixer. Take out the plain old whisk from the drawer and a spatula and you are set on tools. Start by whisking your dry ingredients together and then place the bowl to the side for later.
Next melt the butter. I use a glass measuring cup and the microwave. It takes about 30 seconds to melt 12 tablespoons. Whisk the butter and brown sugar together until well combined.
Add eggs and vanilla and whisk again.
Now it is time to add the dry ingredients. Using a spatula fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined.
Now it is time to add the chips. My measurements are loose estimates. I just throw them in until it feels right. I’ve been told by my kiddos there is never TOO MANY chips.
Once your batter is folded together, add it to a prepared 9×13 pan. Using the spatula smooth out the top and they are ready for baking.
20-25 minutes later a delicious pan of Blondies comes out of the oven.
It is possible to to scoop them out of the pan while hot, but I recommend waiting until they are fully cooled to cut and eat. Eating them hot requires a plate and fork because they are a warm and gooey mess. Blondies are a delicious treat that require less fuss and focus then making 5 dozen cookies. Try them the next time the family is in the mood for something sweet to eat. Happy Cooking!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk flour. baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Put to side.
- Whisk brown sugar and melted butter in second bowl until combined.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla into sugar mixture until combined.
- Using spatula, fold in flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in butterscotch and dark chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared 13x9 pan and smooth top.
- Bake 22-25 minutes. Blondies will be firm to the touch and an inserted toothpick will come out clean when done.
- Let Blondies cool completely before cutting.