Simply Delicious Air Fryer Fries
My husband buys me cooking gadgets for my birthday every year. Usually he picks the larger items that I decide I don’t really need and can live without, but secretly really wish I had. For my last birthday, he purchased an Air Fryer. Click the picture below to see the specific details on my Air Fryer. I started out using it only for pre-packaged frozen foods. It definitely makes better chicken nuggets, tater tots, and mozzarella sticks than the oven. Now I am branching out and attempting to write recipes with the Air Fryer in mind. I decided to start simple, Air Fryer Fries.
The Perfect Food
I love French Fries. Honestly, I think they should be a food group all on their own. My children have followed suit and also adore French fries -any kind, from anywhere. Now, we all know we should not consume massive amounts of deep fried food on the regular, so trying to imitate deep fried, crispy, deliciousness is the goal of this recipe.
Start by cutting the potatoes into short, thin strips. I used red skin potatoes, but any potato will do.
Place the cut potatoes into a bowl and toss with olive oil to coat. I eyeball the oil. The goal is to lightly coat all the fries on all sides; if you prefer exact measurements, start with 1 tbsp and if needed add a second.
Let’s Get Frying
Now it is time for the Air Fryer to do its magic. I have a 6qt Air Fryer, so I am able to make this recipe as one batch. You may need to make adjustments depending on the size of your Air Fryer. The first round of cooking is at 350°F for 10 minutes. At 5 minutes, the halfway mark, take the basket out and toss the fries around. This action helps the fries to cook more evenly. The second round of cooking is at 375° again for 10 minutes. During this round, toss the fries 2-3 times.
Final Frying Technique
For the final round of cooking we are going to reduce the amount in the basket by half. The goal is for crispy fries and this is easier to accomplish in smaller batches. Remove all the fries from the Air Fryer, I placed mine on a cookie sheet. Toss half of the fries in olive oil, just enough to lightly coat all the fries. Place them into the fry basket and set the temp for 400°F. The cooking time will be somewhere between 5-10 minutes. Everyone’s definition of crispy is different after all. This round of fries took 7 minutes at 400°F. Remove them from the fryer and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Finally, repeat the process with the other half of your fries.
Serve ‘Em Up
There you have it! Crispy, delicious French fries made in a much healthier way than your average fast food chain. These French fries were a huge hit with my husband and kiddos. Clean plates for everyone. I served them alongside pulled pork sandwiches and everyone happily enjoyed dinner. Of course French fries go well will anything and I am sure these fries will be making an appearance in many dinners to come. Happy Cooking!
Simply Delicious Fries – Using an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 4-6 Large Red Skin Potatoes any potato will do
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil canola oil or coconut oil are alternatives
- Sea Salt to taste
- Cut potatoes into short, thin strips, leaving skin on.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil to lightly coat on all sides, approximately 2 tbsp.
- Place is basket of Air Fryer. Set temperature to 350°F for 10 minutes. At the 5 minute mark, take the basket out and shake/toss the contents. This will help the fries to cook more evenly.
- Set temperature to 375°F for 10 minutes. Remove the basket and toss 2-3 times during the 10 minute period.
- Remove fries from air fryer and place on cookie sheet.
- Toss half of the fries in olive oil to coat (approx. 1-2 tbsp). Return to Air Fryer basket.
- Set temperature to 400°F and cook for 5-10 minutes. Every 2-3 minutes, toss the fries and check for doneness.
- Remove from fryer. Place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with Sea Salt to your taste.
- Repeat steps 6-8 with the second half of fries.
More posts you may enjoy:
Cheesy Crunchy Mexican Casserole
They look delicious I’m making some soon!!