Apple Pie French Toast Bake – Make Ahead Delicious
I love breakfast foods! I also love sitting at the counter with my coffee and not running around the kitchen on a Sunday morning. My breakfast solution – casseroles. Apple Pie French Toast Bake is one in a long line of breakfast casseroles my family simply adores. It is a make ahead casserole and trust me the night before prep will make your morning deliciously peaceful. Let’s get things started.
* This post contains affiliate links. Controlled Chaos will receive a small commission from any purchase made at no cost to the purchaser. Funds are used to continue creating quality content for our readers.
Choose Your Ingredients
Apple Pie French Toast Bake has versatility in its ingredients. You need some kind of crusty bread – French, Sourdough, Italian – as a starter. Choose your favorite or the one that happens to be on hand. Pictured, I used sourdough I baked myself. Next choice – apples. Choose your favorite apple – mine are golden delicious and what is pictured in this post. Once you make your choices, slice your bread and lay it in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. There are no rules, take a look at the shape and size of your loaf of bread and do what feels right. Then peel and slice your apples and set them to the side.
Now it is time to mix up your egg mixture. Whisk together your eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamons until well combined. Then pour over the bread. In a medium bowl mix together the crumble topping. Now arrange the sliced apples on top of the egg covered bread and sprinkle the crumble topping over the apples.
Take a Pause
It is now time to take a pause. Cover the French toast bake and place it in the refrigerator overnight. I suggest at least 10 hours. During this time the egg mixture will soak into the bread, giving us the traditional French toast feel after baking. After refrigerating, place the baking dish into the pre-heated oven uncovered. Bake approximately 45 minutes until bread/egg combo is fully cooked, apples are soft, and crumble topping is brown and bubbly.
Apple Pie French Toast Bake is delicious on its own or with a drizzle of your favorite maple syrup. It has the comforting, delicious taste and texture of both French Toast and Apple Pie. What a combination! Add it to your next family breakfast or brunch and delight everyone who partakes. Happy Cooking!
Apple Pie French Toast Bakedawndbeauchamp78
- 1 loaf crusty bread i.e. French, Italian, Sourdough
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 4 large apples, sliced any variety - Choose your favorite.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- maple syrup for serving
- Slice bread into one inch slices. Lay in bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Put to the side.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over bread.
- Place sliced apples on top of bread covered in egg mixture.
- In another medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the crumble topping. Sprinkle over the top of the apples.
- Cover dish and refrigerate for 10-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Take pan out of refrigerator, uncover, and place in oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Apples should be soft, eggs set, and topping brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup over the top.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Sausage Egg and Cheese Casserole
A Taste of Fall for the Breakfast Table